Maine Sea Grant – NOAA Fisheries Undergraduate Internships in Sea-run Fish Research
Summer 2023 – Paid Internships
This opportunity is closed.
Maine Sea Grant is partnering with NOAA’s Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC) to provide opportunities for undergraduates to gain experience in the field of fisheries. We are currently recruiting interested students for participation in the Summer 2023 Undergraduate Internships in Diadromous Ecosystem Research Program.
Several Undergraduate Paid Internships are available (links below) through an ongoing collaboration between UMaine’s Sea Grant Program and NOAA’s Northeast Fisheries Science Center. These competitive positions will be 40 hours per week, based at one of several mentor locations in Maine including UMaine Orono and Maine Department of Marine Resources offices in Augusta and Jonesboro. Anticipated start date is May 8, 2023 with the positions running 13 weeks until August 4. Projects include:
- Penobscot Indian Nation (PIN) Diadromous Fisheries and Water Quality Research – Indian Island, Maine
- Atlantic Salmon Freshwater Assessments and Research – Augusta
- Atlantic Salmon Freshwater Assessments and Research – Jonesboro
- Atlantic Salmon Freshwater Assessments and Research – Milford Dam
To be eligible for this program you MUST be enrolled or accepted in a degree-granting or certificate program from an accredited institution in Maine AND enrolled at least half time (6 credits or more) in the Fall 2023 semester.
If you are interested in applying for an internship please email the 3 things below to Justin Stevens and Ruth Haas-Castro:
- a cover letter describing your interest in this opportunity and your preferred (top 3) projects/locations. The internship program seeks to broaden participation and increase access to fisheries research/management opportunities for underrepresented groups. In your cover letter, explain how you might contribute to this program vision.
- a resume (including names and contact information for 3 references)
- a copy of your most recent unofficial transcript(s)
The deadline for applications is noon (Eastern) Friday February 10 2023.
Please contact Justin Stevens with any questions.