2023 National Seaweed Symposium
Portland, Maine | April 24-27, 2023
Maine Sea Grant is hosting the 2023 National Seaweed Symposium, taking place from April 24-27th, 2023, at the Westin Portland Harborview in Portland, Maine!
The National Seaweed Symposium is a convening of key industry, regulatory, academic, and professional leaders in and contributors to the US seaweed sector. Hosted by the National Sea Grant Network’s Seaweed Hub, this 3-day conference will feature targeted presentations, unique field trips, and engaging networking sessions, providing attendees with usable knowledge and meaningful professional connections to advance innovation, emerging research, and collaboration in the domestic seaweed sector.
The conference venue is The Westin Portland Harborview in downtown Portland, within walking distance to Portland’s well-known working waterfront and restaurants.
The Symposium will occur during Maine Seaweed Week, the largest seaweed food and drink festival in the US, offering additional opportunities for participants to experience Maine’s seaweed and local food industries.
Full conference registration: $225.
A discounted rate ($175) is available to farmers and small businesses.
Conference registration includes:
- All Symposium Sessions
- Breakfast, lunch, coffee and snacks provided Tuesday-Thursday
- Welcome Reception (Monday, April 24th)
- Off-site field trips (Wednesday, April 26th)
- Seaweed Showcase (Wednesday, April 26th)
- Symposium Celebration (Thursday, April 27th)
- Program and print materials
A limited, discount room block is available at the conference venue, the Westin Portland Harborview. Please use the direct booking link below to make reservations at the venue. Deadline for discount booking: Friday, March 24th, 2023.
Conference Agenda and Programming
The 2023 National Seaweed Symposium will bring together networks from across the US for 3-days of unique and engaging programming prioritizing network development and practical, applied knowledge. Participants can expect to:
- Connect with seaweed farmers, processors, product producers, regulators, state and federal agencies, researchers, students, support organizations, and more!
- Engage in sessions and presentations that target high-priority topics to the US seaweed industry including regulations, production systems, processing, market opportunities and cross-cutting themes like social license, economics, and climate.
- Participate in hands-on activities and field trips which showcase the seaweed supply chain in the US.
- Expand their professional network within the US seaweed sector.
How you can get involved!
The 2023 National Seaweed Symposium aims to broaden knowledge sharing about successful and ongoing efforts and highlight emerging research and opportunities. We encourage your participation in the following activities:
Submitted Lightning Talks! Do you have a research project or new technology to share? Are you working on a novel seaweed product? Please consider submitting an abstract for our lightning talk session! Lightning talks are capped at 5 minutes and will be encouraged to include slides and visuals if selected. The abstract instruction form is available here. Completed abstracts can be emailed to Jaclyn Robidoux. Deadline for submission: Wednesday, March 15, 2023. Accepted talks will be notified in March.
The Seaweed Showcase! Showcase your seaweed products, equipment, research, and materials! The seaweed showcase is an interactive table and exhibition opportunity, held on the afternoon/evening of Wednesday, April 26th. The symposium invites seaweed businesses, product producers, researchers, and organizations to submit engaging and interactive table proposals which feature seaweed products, equipment, tools, and resources. To apply, please complete this exhibitor proposal form. Deadline for application: Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Accepted exhibitors will be notified in March.
Become a sponsor of the 2023 National Seaweed Symposium! The 2023 symposium is made possible through the National Sea Grant Seaweed Hub, Maine Sea Grant, and partner sponsorships and contributions. The following sponsorship opportunities support the event and enhance programming for attendees:
- Event Sponsor: Event sponsors will be recognized during the conference, acknowledged in conference materials, and can receive complimentary registrations.
- Activity Sponsor: Support engaging field trips and networking receptions for conference attendees! Activity sponsors will be highlighted during their sponsored sessions and acknowledged in conference materials. Availability is limited.
Please see our sponsorship form for more information:
For additional questions about the National Seaweed Symposium, please contact Maine Sea Grant Extension, Jaclyn Robidoux.
We look forward to seeing you in Portland!