Note: This page is still under development

Where can I find flood map information?

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is currently in the process of conducting new coastal studies and creating digitized flood insurance rate maps (FIRMs), but the project won’t be complete for approximately two years. If you are unable to get a map from your local municipality, you can access your community FIRM at the FEMA website. If using the ‘search by street address’ option, use a major road (i.e., Atlantic Avenue for Old Orchard Beach).

Where can I find out about local rules? State rules? Federal rules?

You can find more information on local, state and federal rules in the permitting section of this website. Visit your town office or code enforcement officer to find out about local rules. For state rules, contact your regional office of the Department of Environmental Protection.

What about climate change and sea-level rise?

To learn more about this topic, visit the sea-level rise page at Maine Climate News, and/or watch the DVD on Building a Resilient Coast: Maine Confronts Climate Change.

How do I know if I have invasive plants growing on my coastal property? Where can I find out about native plants?

The University of Maine Cooperative Extension is a great resource for identifying invasive plants, and for consultation on low-impact, effective ways to address the issue (How to Get Rid of Invasive Plants). The Maine Natural Areas Program also has information about invasive plants.

Can’t find the answer? Submit your question to